Elementary school shuts down after asbestos is found

Peabody, Mass. – Elementary school teachers and students got an unexpected day off when contractors discovered asbestos while working on a project. The contractors were hired to remove a non-functioning chimney at Burke Elementary School. The chimney removal was part of a project to replace the school’s boilers. Contractor and school officials knew that asbestos was present in the boiler room and had taken the necessary steps to protect the buildings occupants from asbestos exposure.

Prolonged exposure to asbestos leads to number of lung diseases, which include asbestosis and mesothelioma, an aggressive and fatal cancer. Sufferers of asbestos-related diseases often hire mesothelioma attorneys to obtain restitution. The students and teachers were dismissed from school once the asbestos was discovered. An abatement team worked late into the night on Wednesday to remove the toxin. A tent was placed around the school to prevent environmental contamination.

None of the students or staff is thought to have been exposed to asbestos. Two air tests revealed that there is no contamination in the school buildings or surrounding area so the school was open today.

Over the years, environmental advocates and agencies along with mesothelioma lawyers have worked to make the public and government officials aware of the dangers of asbestos. Because of their persistence, the dangerous mineral has been banned, and its removal heavily regulated.

Medical care for mesothelioma and other asbestos diseases is extremely costly. People who are afflicted by these illnesses can retain mesothelioma attorneys to seek fiscal damages from the businesses or manufacturers responsible for their exposure.

2 thoughts on “Elementary school shuts down after asbestos is found

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *